15 Winning Growth Hacking Techniques & Strategies (Infographic)
To some, “growth hacking” might seem like the latest buzzword for “marketing.”
But growth hacking is much more than a buzzword and requires absolute focus on one thing: Grow as fast as possible.
This clever phrase was coined by Sean Ellis (click here to learn more) and has been popularized by fast growing startups. But growth hacking is not just for startups, it’s for smart marketers and forward-thinking businesses.
That’s why I want to share my the best 15 growth hacking techniques and strategies for you to use for your business…
1. Tap into 3rd Party Audiences
On average, businesses who use media outlets, influencers and general partnerships to access large, well-established audiences see a 6-to-1 return on their investment.
- The Smart Way to Use Other People’s Audiences to Build Your Own
- Growth Hacking 101: Leveraging Other People’s Networks
- How to Leverage Other People’s Hard Work to Grow Your Business
2. Leverage 3rd Party Platforms
Identify and sign up for websites, directories, apps, etc. that already have the audience you want. It may even be as simple as signing up for local directories like Yelp or finding the perfect niche forum.
- Stealing Traction: How Youtube, Paypal, StumbleUpon and AirBnB Grew Through Piggybacking
- Platform Thinking: A brief guide to leveraging networks for business
- Craigslist Growth Hack System – AirBnB’s 7 Figure Case Study
3. Target Your Competitor’s Fans
A clever way to find and connect with potential customers is to engage with the people who are following your competitors on social media. That way you know they’ll be interested in your brand.
- How I Grew From 300 to 5k Followers In Just 3 Weeks
- How to Steal Your Competitor’s Facebook Fans
- From 0 to 110k Instagram Followers In 5 Months: The Growth Story of Foundr
4. Create Content For Your Buyer Journey
61% of people say they are more likely to buy from businesses who deliver custom content which satisfies their questions and concerns because it helps them make their own decisions.
- Mapping Your Content to the Buyer’s Journey
- Increase Conversions by Mapping Content to the Buyer Journey
5. Create Page Specific Content
When you offer people content that’s specifically related to the page of your website they are on, you can increase conversions by 500% or more. This is also known as a “Content Upgrade”.
- How To Boost Conversions by 529% in 45-Minutes
- How To Increase Conversions by 785% in One Day (Without A/B Testing)
6. Build a List of Targeted Emails
For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI. Even with a small list of the right people, you can convert sales. The bigger your list, the easier it is to get more paying customers.
- A Guide to Maximizing Lead Generation Today (Infographic)
- Try these 3 new tricks to jump-start your stagnant email list
7. Nurture Leads Automatically
Just a few hours of writing lead nurturing emails can enable you to sell for years. Companies that automate lead nurturing see on average a 10% increase in revenue and 451% increase in leads.
- Automated Email Case Study: 175% more revenue and 83% higher conversion rate
- Not Sold On Marketing Automation? Here Are 5 Case Studies That Will Change Your Mind!
8. Personalize The Experience
30% of Amazon’s sales come from recommendations. Which proves that when you create contextual experiences, you can increase sales because you’re giving your customers exactly what they want.
- Stop Being Rude: 22 Data-Backed Reasons to Personalize Your Marketing
- Let’s Get Personal: 12 Ways to Tailor Your Marketing to Individuals
9. Cart Abandonment Notifications
68% of shopping carts are abandoned before a sale is completed because people are so easily distracted. Bring them back using email reminders to alert them of their abandoned cart.
- Nine case studies and infographics on cart abandonment and email retargeting
- Shopping Cart Recovery: Triggered emails recapture 29% of abandoned carts
10. Host Contests
AppSumo was able to get 140,000+ subscribers in 10 months by promoting contests and giveaways. By collecting entrant contact info, you’ll be able to grow your email lists at lightning speed.
- How to Run a Successful Social Media Contest
- The Ultimate Guide to Running Online Competitions
- How to Use Contests and Giveaways to Get User-Generated Content
- [Case Study] The Online Marketing One-Two Punch
11. Build An Exclusive Community
Burberry’s ecommerce sales surged 50% year-over-year by building their own online community. They attract new people and engage customers by curating user-generated content by using a unique #hashtag on social media.
- Burberry: 3 Powerful Ways To Engage Consumers Online
- User Generated Content Campaigns: Great Examples in 2015
- 5 Creative Social Media Campaign Microsites
12. Reward Sharing and Referrals
People are 4X more likely to do something when a friend tells them to. That’s why when you give free bonuses for sharing content or store credit for referring a friend you can significantly amplify word of mouth.
- Getting More Referrals: Using Two-Sided Referral Incentives
- Referral Program Examples – An Epic List Of 47 Referral Programs
- How to Gather 100,000 Emails in One Week (Includes Successful Templates, Code, Everything You Need)
- The 7 Ways Dropbox Hacked Growth to Become a $4 Billion Company
13. Retargeting Ads
Bring visitors back to your website after they leave with ads that follow them to other popular sites and social sites. Retargeting ads can increase brand searches by up to 1,000% and website visits by 720% after 4 weeks.
14. Use Your Data
50% of businesses find it difficult to attribute marketing directly to revenue results. That’s why analytic tools are crucial for analyzing your marketing channels to identify the ones that perform the best, so you can make adjustments to improve your ROI.
15. Do Things That Don’t Scale
If all else fails, success and growth can come from hustling. It will require hard work, creativity, planning and good execution. You can’t just sit in your fish bowl waiting for people to come to you.
Additional Growth Hacking Resources
- 171 Marketing Ideas For Small Business: The Complete List
- The Definitive Guide to Growth Hacking
- Learn Growth Hacking: 35 Resources to Help You Become a Growth Hacker
- 200+ Actionable SEO Tips In One ‘Noob Friendly’ Guide
- The 5 Phases of Growth Hacking
- The Ultimate Guide To Social Media Marketing
- Explained: The actual difference between growth hacking and marketing
- How Growth Hacking Is Redefining Marketing
- 13 Growth Hacking Techniques You Can Apply Right Now
- 7 Best Marketing Strategies for Fast Customer Acquisition (Infographic)
- The Definitive Guide for Growth Hacking (Infographic)
- An Epic List of 100 Growth Hacks for Startups
- The 6 Best Growth Hacks to Get Customers Without Having to Pay for Them
- How-To Build A High Converting Marketing Funnel (Infographic)
- How-To Accelerate Business Growth with Inbound Marketing (Infographic)
If you want to learn more about growth hacking, check out this 10-week course that you can try out for only $1…
Here’s What To Do Next…
Now that you’ve read my most actionable growth hacking strategies it’s time to take action.
Your next step is to answer the following question:
Which growth hacking technique are you going to try first?
Or maybe you’re not sure if growth hacking will work for your business?
Either way, leave a quick comment below.